Learn Why Recruit at State Schools
In this ever changing job market, every company wants to attract, hire, and retain the top talent. While many businesses still court Ivy League graduates, the real source of talent is your state university. State colleges and universities offer a wealth of talent, diversely experienced workers and affordable recruits. All of this and they are right in your backyard too. Here are just a few reasons why you should be hiring from your state university instead of an Ivy League school.
- Diversity- While Ivy League schools still work for diversity, there will always be more diversity at a state school. A diverse student body with a variety of rich experiences is going to offer up better talent. These individuals will be ready and willing to handle any situation that comes their way. Also, diversity in your workforce will better display your company culture and help you reach a multitude of diverse clients.
- Affordable Workers- One of the main deterrents for Ivy League applicants is the cost of their prestigious education. When you hire a state school graduate, you will be hiring someone who will be carrying a lighter load of student loans. This will make them ambitious but affordable. Ivy League students will need to take high paying jobs right away to start paying off their student loan debt. Plus, Ivy League students are more likely to leave a post-graduate job and return to school for doctorate degrees. You will be paying for the turnover and training as well.
- Top Talent at Lower Recruiting Costs- State Universities still churn out large numbers of talented graduates. Attracting and hiring the best at a state university is equal to hiring from elite institutions, if not better. Plus, recruiting at a state school gives you more bang for your recruiting dollars. Here’s how:
- More Choices– More students means you have a larger pool of talent to choose from.
- Skilled Students-State schools teach practical skills more than academic research skills.
- Prepared Workers– State schools have prepared their students for the real world outside of their walls, while many Ivy League students return to the same institutions to continue study or teach.
- Opportunity for Preferred Relationships– Regular recruiting at your state school will help build mutually beneficial relationships with your state school that can create an opportunity for your company to have a fast track on top talent, create internships with the school and develop research partnerships. This gives your company the chance to get ahead on hiring and colleges to be ranked for job placement.
- Cut Travel Costs– Recruiting from state universities also lets companies cut travel expenses, both for recruiters and for applicants. If the school is easily accessible, recruiters can stop by or travel there in a day. Other advantages include:
- Less Money for Relocation Services
- New Hires That Are Familiar with the Area
- Support System Nearby for New Hires
- Support of Fellow Alumni in the Office
Recruit with State Schools for Longevity & Success
While major private universities and Ivy League schools will always produce highly gifted talent, they are often not the best place for long term hires. Hiring a state university graduate with a practical education and diverse experiences will often serve your company better. They will be more capable, better match your vision, and stick with your company longer. All of these attributes make state school recruits a low cost, highly effective addition to your team.