Win the Talent War 47: Steve Adams
In this episode, Ryan interviews Steve Adams, CEO at EmployeeChannel, Inc. Steve shares the drastic changes in the workforce and in work attitudes over the years. He shares how organizations are faltering as far as employee engagement is concerned and provides insights into how you can come up with an optimum, communication strategy that will BOOST engagement levels. Assess, Design and Follow-up are the three steps that an organization needs in order to analyze their current communication strategy. Tune-in to learn how you can set up the RIGHT employee communication strategy that will get your organization on the path to success.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:44 – Ryan introduces Steve Adams to the show
- 0:50 – Today we discuss how employers can come up with the best communication strategy
- 01:14 – Tracing Steve’s journey so far…
- 02:56 – How the workforce and work attitude have changed over the years
- 06:00 – The number ONE thing that employees desire from their organizations is positive recognition; second is open and transparent communication
- 07:44 – Developing a personal relationship with your peers is highly valued today
- 09:03 – Ways to boost employee engagement
- 09:24 – Though we have been measuring employee engagement for three years, we have made little progress in this area
- 10:26 – We need a 21st century solution for communicating effectively with employees
- 11:35 – Employee communication is the cornerstone of engagement
- 12:10 – Put the same rigor that you put into customer engagement in employee engagement
- 13:03 – Customer Relationship Management is about developing detailed intelligence about the customer and then creating the best possible customer experience
- 14:00 – Put an employee communication strategy in place at the beginning of the fiscal year
- 14:47 – Understand your audience and learn how to reach them
- 15:38 – Use platforms that can support your aim
- 16:29 – Adopt an analytical approach to design your employee communication strategy
- 17:28 – While customers are top-line revenue generators, investing in employees will push up your profitability
- 18:37 – Assess, Develop and Follow-up
- 21:33 – Develop a multi-channel communication strategy, relying on antiquated channels like email will not yield optimum results
- 24:12 – Design surveys so that you can get the correct information that you are looking for
- 24:57 – Employees unwilling to be completely transparent while providing answers indicate an undesirable company culture
- 25:35 – If you were to go back in time and give yourself some advice, what would it be?
- 26:19 – The three most important traits are authenticity, integrity and intelligence
- 27:07 – Key takeaways:
- 27:10 – Extremely important to implement a well, thought-out employee communication strategy
- 27:35 – While designing your communication plan, do an assessment of those who have all three traits that can help you
- 27:57 – Have guardrails in position to make sure that you are implementing the plan that you put in place; assess, develop, and follow-up to ensure that you are setting yourself up for success
- 28:28 – Check out our website to gain access to all previous episodes
3 Key Points:
- It ‘s extremely important to implement a well, thought-out employee communication strategy.
- While designing your communication plan, do an assessment of those who can help you roll it out.
- Have guardrails in position to make sure that you are implementing the plan that you put in place; assess, develop, and follow-up to ensure that you are setting yourself up for success.