Here’s How to Attract and Hire Millennials!
Not every company or industry has the wow factor like a big tech company or an ultra-hip startup. So how do regular industries attract hires in a competitive market? It’s actually easier than you may think.
Even though name brand firms still attract a large number of applicants, they aren’t the top of the list for millennial applicants. In fact, most millennials want to work for medium sized or small companies. Why? Simple. Millennials care more about stability, longevity, and experiences than they do for flash. So even if you aren’t high-tech or a finance tech industry, you can still bring in new hires. Here’s how you can put your company on the map for millennials.
Attracting Applicants for Everyday Industries
- Purpose, Service, and Meaningful Work- Each industry serves a purpose and has its own reputation. Define the purpose and service your company supplies and promote it. Recent grads are looking more for meaningful careers than corporate ladder or even higher pay. They put values and ethics above business (Deloitte Millennial Survey). No matter what your field of work, show how your company helps people. Millennials will come.
- Offer Unique Perks- The days of slaving away at a 9-5 job for insurance and a stock option are winding down. These benefits are still important but you need more than that to compete. New hires are interested in unusual and fun perks. Think of adding things like:
- Flexible Work Schedules
- Gym Memberships
- Charitable Works
- Celebrations for Reaching Goals
- Work from Home Days
- Multi-layered Career Paths- Every company has the ability to offer a diverse career path. Instead of following the traditional corporate ladder model, consider how your staff works together and how workers can move across positions. Understand that opportunity can lead in many different directions and every person’s path is different. Showcase how career paths in your company can actually cut across multiple departments. This will help prospective applicants see themselves working in your company for a long time.
- Stability and Foundations- The idea that millennials are job hoppers is more myth than fact. Millennials value life experiences and stability more than anything else. So if you want to attract them, you have to show how your company can fulfill those needs. Be sure to display both the longevity of your company and (especially if you are a new company) provide your mission statement and future goals. Also, include bios of longtime employees who love their job. When millennials see that you have happy employees who are in it for the long haul, they’ll want to hitch their career to your company.
- Social Media- If you want to reach or attract millennials, you need to be on social media. Make sure your company has an active social media presence, including your CEO and top executives. Passive seekers will easily find your company and become the active applicants you are looking for.
Stability, Longevity, & Purpose Attract Grads
Millennials have a different way of looking at the world. They place a lot of value on longevity in a stable career doing something that matters. If you want to attract millennials to your company, show how your business makes a difference in the world. Give examples of your company’s dependable track record and goals for future. Millennials will be lining up to work for you.