How to Connect Your Company to Its Purpose
Finding meaning in the work a company does leads to inspired, energized, and connected employees, passionate about your business. In fact, purpose is so important to job seekers today that rank it as number one almost across the board. However, many companies don’t promote their purpose or even know what it is. With the benefits that come from meaningful work, connecting your work to a purpose is fundamental to success.
Benefits of Finding Purpose in Business
Your company purpose is your bottom line. This is more than a mission statement or a spreadsheet with goals. The company purpose is the heart and soul of why you do business. Every company has a purpose and provides an important service. Connecting your employees to that purpose brings endless benefits.
- Attracts Passionate Candidates and Top Talent- If you are truly wanting to win in this war for talent, you want passionate and talented candidates. Connecting your company to its purpose will attract top candidates that have a true passion for their work.
- Increased Productivity- Work that has no meaning becomes lifeless and monotonous. More mistakes are made, less attention is given to detail. Instead, connect the work done in every department to meaningful results. Put purpose at the front of your work and you’ll notice a big drive in productivity. Employees who feel connected to their work feel energized to do more work.
- Increased Innovation- If you are looking for innovation and creativity, connecting work to a purpose ignites a spark of imagination and inspiration. These people become passionate about what they do and work to make every project better each time.
- Builds Company Loyalty & Pride- Most workers don’t end their day with a concrete structure that they can point to with pride. Finding purpose in every detail and creating a connection between your employee’s work and their purpose will increase both company loyalty and pride.
How to Make the Connection Between Work and Purpose
Successful companies know a secret. They know how to connect the work they do to a meaningful and needed purpose. Their employees feel important and proud of their efforts, they show up energized every day. If you want your company to rise to the top and stay there, you’ll need to get your employees involved in meaningful work.
1) Discover Your Purpose- Before you can connect your company to a purpose, you have to know what it is. Every single company has a meaningful purpose, even when you are dealing with intangibles. Find that purpose, name it out loud, and constantly shout it from the rooftops.
2) Show the Results with Human Connections- Whatever service you provide, show the results, not just in graphs or numbers, but in human responses. If you work in banking, show the small businesses you’ve helped grow. Work in tech? Discuss the success of the newest start-up. Bring in clients to meet the people who have helped them.
3) Celebrate Success- No matter how big or how small, celebrate success. This doesn’t mean a party every time something goes right, but praise growth, reward projects that have been completed. Show your employees that what they do matters and that it is appreciated.
4) Visit Results- Add even more to the connection by taking employees to places where their work had a positive effect. Once again, let them meet the people they are helping. Let them see the fruits of their labor. Show them how they are making the world a better place. You’ll increase the satisfaction and loyalty of your employees and your clients.
5) Join Charitable Partnerships- You can increase the connection by doing some pro bono work or having charitable partnerships with organizations in need. Spend one day a month volunteering services as a company. The more connected your employees are as a team and with their community, the more likely they are to stick around for the long-term.
6) Keep Your Eye on the Big Picture- There will be failures and mistakes. Keep your eye and the focus of your employees on the big picture. Never take failure as a fatal blow. Instead, look clearly at where you can improve and listen to team members of different departments.
Purpose Creates Connectivity
Having a clear purpose helps define your company’s culture and relationships. More than anything, meaningful work creates a connectivity between your employees, management, and the community around them. The benefits of purpose-driven work are endless. Start with little steps today to get your company on the path to meaningful and long-lasting work that will help change the world you live in. You’ll find better talent, stronger bonds, and a more loyal workforce as your shift your purpose.