Win the Talent War 46: Brad Owens
Brad Owens, owner of HRCoaching and host of the popular podcast, The Small Business Hiring Network is a recruiter focusing on helping small businesses adopt the best hiring practices. A decade of working with large Fortune 500 companies opened Brad’s eyes to the inadequate HR practices present in small businesses. Today, Brad discusses the importance of assessing a candidate’s ATTRIBUTES rather than their behavior. He shares how you can generate the ultimate candidate experience by adopting some simple, common sense measures. Tune-in to learn how you can interview candidates the RIGHT way, hire the TOP talent, and get your organization firmly on the path of success.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:46 – In today’s episode, we share how you can best CAPITALIZE yourself in an interview with top talent
- 01:11 – Ryan introduces Brad Owens to the show
- 02:22– Tracing Brad’s journey so far…
- 05:57 – Tips and Tricks to Interview Candidates the RIGHT way
- 06:03 – A recent study showed that most businesses interview candidates in an UNSTRUCTURED manner and end up with poor results
- 06:43 – A structured interview where you invest in TIME and EFFORT increases your success rate from 40% to 55%
- 07:18 – Behavioral interviewing yields poor results and should be AVOIDED
- 08:06 – Adopt ATTRIBUTIONAL interviewing which revolves around The Six A’s: Attitude, Aptitude, Accomplishments, Adaptability, Appreciation and Amiable
- 09:16 – Attributes have nothing to do with the skillset of an individual; they help you gauge whether the candidate will be a good cultural fit
- 09:51 – Attitude is the most IMPORTANT of all attributes; revolves around demeanor and communication style
- 11:11 – Download the attributional interviewing guide
- 11:30 – What to listen for is the most important part
- 12:00 – Follow up and get a STORY to gauge how much of a cultural fit that person is for the business
- 12:23 – The BEST question to ask a candidate: “Tell me a time when you had to go above and beyond to get an assignment completed”
- 12:51 – Gauge how their attitude affected the outcome
- 14:20 – The biggest mistake that small businesses make is that they try and replicate bigger organizations
- 15:22 – Respond to a candidate’s job application as quickly as you can
- 16:21 – The biggest mistake that a small business can make is to act like a big business
- 17:25 – Candidate Experience
- 20:20 – Any person who leaves an organization within a year of hiring loses the organization 8 to 10 times of their base salary!
- 21:43 – Taking a biased approach becomes harder when you are on video
- 22:30 – The importance of building your bench strength is HUGE; you want to build a great referral network which shows your company in a positive light
- 23:35 – Brad shares details about his podcast
- 25:39 – Key takeaways:
- 26:25 – Learn more about Brad and his podcast by going to his website
- 26:46 – Email Ryan your questions
- 26:51 – Check out our website to gain access to all previous episodes
3 Key Points:
- Adopt an attributional interviewing style rather than a behavioral interviewing style.
- Spend EXTRA time with your top candidates so that they can get to know you and you can get to know them.
- Focus on building brand loyalty, brand recognition and relationships.